Leather is one of the most popular materials to use for bags, footwear, and furniture. However, cleaning and maintaining leather is a headache process for the users. Before you know how to clean leather, you need to know the basic reasons for the popularity of leather.
Here is what you need to know:
- Leather is natural and it begins to get better with age as it helps in bringing out its natural patina.
- You can enjoy using leather products for several years and it lasts longer than fabric.
- You can maintain and care for leather easily and all you need to do is condition it within every six months or a year to wipe the spots with a clean cloth. However, for leather cleaning Sutherland Shire, you should avoid using harsh chemicals or soap.
- Leather is safe, whether you are using it for furniture, bag or footwear. Applying a finish on the top helps in protecting the leather articles from wear and tear.
- Although the leather seats in a vehicle become hot and cold in the winter, the articles in the interior of your home, especially furniture stays cool and hot, depending on the weather.
1) Cleaning leather articles
When it comes to leather cleaning Sutherland shire, the technique depends on the type of leather you need to clean. Note the following to ensure proper cleaning of leather articles.
- Finished leather comes with a protective coating while unfinished or suede leather does not have a coating.
- You can clean finished leather with saddle soap, but using it for highly sensitive leather is bad.
- You can test an ordinary area of the leather article to find out whether it can tolerate cleaning with a saddle soap.
- You need to treat the liquid stains on leather immediately and the first step is blotting it with a soft or damp cloth, using warm water without soap.
- You can also rely on leather cleaner but if the product is available in a spray bottle, you can test it by spraying on another surface before the leather article you need to clean.
- For leather cleaning tasks, do not use furniture polish, abrasive cleaners, oils, and cleaning solvents.
- For grease or butter stains on leather articles, you need to clean and remove the excess oil with a clean and dry cloth. Ideally, the spot should disappear after some time. Apart from this, you can also sprinkle corn starch or baking soda on the greasy area and allow it to stay overnight and wipe or vacuum it. Rubbing alcohol for oil or grease stains can work.
2) Moisturising or protecting leather
When it comes to moisturising leather, you need to clean it at first and use a good-quality conditioner for leather only. You can protect leather items with waterproof spray and apply wax on the shoes to make them water-resistant.
3) Storage of leather
While leather cleaning Sutherland shire is significant, you need to pay attention to storage of leather articles. Remember to keep them in a dry place and away from sunlight to prevent fading and mildew infestation.