Stainless steel balustrades are the most commonly used architectural features all across Sydney. Stainless steel is a contemporary choice for balustrades, railings and stairs in commercial, residential and industrial applications. They are suitable for use in coastal areas where corrosion resistance is important or in any environment where they are exposed to salt spray.
If you are looking for an elegant modern style in your home or office, Stainless Steel Balustrades In Sydney can’t be beaten. Stainless steel gives a clean and crisp look that blends into most new and contemporary architecture and design.
Stainless steel balustrades can also be designed to accommodate handrails and safety barriers, adding the finishing touches to your structure.
Why Do Architects in Sydney Recommend Stainless Steel Balustrades?
Many architects and designers in Sydney specify stainless steel balustrades because they are: Stainless steel hand railings are also easy to clean and will not conduct heat or cold.
Here are some advantages of Stainless Steel Balustrades over Aluminium Balustrades:
– High Corrosion Resistance & Highly Durable
– Easy to Maintain
– Better in Cold Climates (Aluminium Balustrades suffer in cold weather)
– No Black Fingermarks (No fingerprints on Stainless Steel)
– Lower Cost than Aluminium Balustrades.
Things To Remember Before You Install Stainless Steel Balustrades:
One of the most common mistakes that people make when choosing stainless steel balustrades is to shop on price alone. While it’s true that stainless steel is a more expensive option than other materials such as aluminium, you do get what you pay for in terms of quality, reliability and durability.
Some of the key things to look out for when buying stainless steel balustrades include:
- Ensuring that the balustrade not only meets Australian standards but exceeds them
- Ensuring that the balustrade has been independently tested
- Checking that the balustrade has been independently certified by an accredited testing agency
Maintaining Your Balustrades:
The issue of taking care of your steel balustrade might seem like a minor detail to some people, but this is actually one of the most important factors to consider.
One of the biggest advantages of stainless steel balustrades is their resistance to rust or corrosion. There are several different grades available on the market today, with varying degrees of rust protection. It’s also important to remember that if your balustrades are made from recycled materials, it’s more likely to rust over time.
This rust can be removed with a chemical cleaner or mild abrasive, but it does not go all the way through the steel, so this is only cosmetic.
The balustrade will eventually corrode if it is left untreated – this can take 5 to 10 years depending on the climate. Corrosion on the balustrade is bad news as it weakens the structure and creates points of mechanical failure. The affected areas will need to be replaced before they collapse.
How To Keep Your Stainless Steel Balustrades Clean?
There are a few techniques you can use to keep your stainless steel balustrades clean. These are the best recommended stainless steel cleaning methods:
1. You can use white vinegar on its own or in combination with water, baking soda or lavender oil. All of these are great at removing dirt and grime, without damaging the surface of your balustrade. Just make sure that you test them on an inconspicuous area of your balustrade before applying them over the whole thing!
2. A paint scraper can also be used to remove dirt from your balustrade, but be careful when doing this because you could scrape off some of the paint if you’re not careful! Always test an inconspicuous area first.
3. A steam cleaner is another method of removing dirt from your balustrade, but do make sure that you test it on an inconspicuous area first! You don’t want to ruin the finish on your balustrade by using too much pressure
Wax Coating For Your Balustrades:
The stainless steel balustrade is made to last for an extended period of time, but you should still consider getting it wax coated. It will provide the following benefits:
The finish of your stainless steel balustrade will be improved and it will also add a layer of protection to the surface that it is applied on. The finish will remain intact for a longer period of time and it will be less prone to corrosion and rusting. The entire structure will remain intact even if there are any impacts or scratches on the surface.
Furthermore, applying a wax coat to your stainless steel balustrade will also add a layer of protection even in extreme weather conditions. Any damages caused by extreme weather can be fixed instantly, thanks to this protective layer. This is especially important if you have installed the balustrade in exterior spaces.
The wax-coating process is simple and can be done in a DIY way if you understand the process, if not you can hire a professional for it. You can choose any type of wax coating based on the material of your balustrade and the kind of environment you want to use it in.
Some types of wax include:
The carnauba wax: Carnauba wax is extracted from leaves in Brazil called palm trees. It is UV resistant, weatherproof, water repellant, soil repellent, abrasion resistant, anti-aging and hard-wearing. Carnauba also has some antibacterial properties which are very useful for house protection.
The beeswax: The beeswax is extracted from honeycomb by honeybees of Apis mellifera species. It comes in solid form and it is of yellowish colour with a smell that resembles honey or butter. It also has antiseptic properties that prevent bacterial growth on the surface that it coats on.
You can seek professional advice if you are confused about which type of wax would be suitable.